Sitting

Sitting
And this moment is my path

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Monkey Mind



The toxins multiply
For the insolent and negligent
Who reject what they should do
And do instead what they should not.
But the toxins come to an end
For those who are mindful and alert,
Who are constantly well-engaged
With mindfulness of the body,
Who don't resort to what they should not do
But persist in doing what they should.
(The Dhammapada, Gil Fronsdal's translation)

With the beginning of the new year, accompanied by the cold weather, resulting in more time inside, I find myself struggling with mindfulness. The passage above settles into my centeredness, reminding me that choice is part of the path. I abide by the perception that nothing is dichotomous...that I am always on the path; one cannot be "off the path." The path includes rocky terrain, and smooth warm sand, cool grass...just as in a race, one may be at times in the front and other times at the aid station. But one is never not in the race. And finishing first is not my goal--my goal is to be fully engaged and aware of the experience.

I am allowing my distractions some room on the path, but they will not deter my enlightenment.

No comments: