Sitting

Sitting
And this moment is my path

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Some Encourgement to My Running Friends (and to me, too)


I took the photo above onthe morning of last year's Grand Rapids Marathon. I hope that we get to enjoy a sky that blue this year.

Jeff and I will run our longest training run of the season tomorrow morning--15 miles, starting at 4:15 AM. The forecast is calling for showers and gusty wind...not ideal. But, we're hanging on to our commitment.

This morning, as we finished our second 8-mile run of the week I remembered the words of Abram Maslow:

“We fear our highest possibilities (as well as our lowest ones). We are generally aftraid to become that which we can glimpse in our most perfect moments, under the most perfect conditions, under conditions of greatest courage. We enjoy and even thrill to the godlike possibilities we see in ourselves in such peak moments. And yet we simultaneously shiver with weakness, awe, and fear before these very same possibilities.”

Maslow went on in the next paragraph to charge us with aiming higher:
“If you deliberately plan to be less than you are capable of being, then I warn you that you’ll be deeply unhappy for the rest of your life. You will be evading your own capactities, your own possibilities.”

So, I suppose we should do our best (and dress well!).

No comments: